Not sure how to begin or extend your organization’s commitment to anti-racism, equity, and inclusion?
You can start here with our curated list of resources that address systemic and institutional racism, and offer ways for organizations to work towards racial justice. If some of the terms and concepts are new for you, check out the glossary from Racial Equity Tools to help guide you and your organization.
Nonprofits may be at different stages of their journey in addressing Truth and Reconciliation, racial justice and equity. We encourage you to read through the list and to recommend or share resources. In addition to these resources we invite you to reflect on the following questions to support your journey:
- What is your organizational goal in advancing integrating recommendations that are part of TRC? How does your organization want to address racial justice and equity?
- Who can support the work within your organization? Do you need to strike an internal committee? Is there external expertise needed?
- Have you connected with employees and stakeholders within your organization to get a sense of their needs?
- How do you intend to build relationships with local BIPOC communities and organizations?
It’s okay if you or your organization doesn’t have all the answers; part of the journey will support these questions being answered.
For the next three years at ONN through our decent work movement building, we will be focusing on Reconciliation and racial justice within the nonprofit sector. Our commitment to the sector will include regular updates to this page with resources that are created through the project.
- Read ONN’s statement on anti-Black racism, and its commitment to supporting systemic change
- Learn more about addressing the nonprofit racial leadership gap through the Race to Lead Revisited report
- Learn more about diverse representation across boards of directors in Canada through Diversity Leads 2020
Browse our resources:
- Anti-Racist Organizational Change: Resources & Tools for Nonprofits (CommunityWise Resource Centre)
- White Supremacy Culture in Organizations (The Centre for Community Organizations)
- The Oppression Tree: Facilitation Tool (The Centre for Community Organizations)
- TNC BIPOC Recommendations for Actions
- Dismantling White Supremacy & Reclaiming our Humanity: Moving Courageous Conversations into Actions
- Inclusive Leadership Guide: Leading Inclusively to Stop Racism in the Workplace (Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Navigating Race in Canadian Workplaces A Toolkit for Diversity and Inclusion Practitioners (Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion)
- If Not Now, When? Black Leadership and the Nonprofit Sector (Ontario Nonprofit Network)
- Unfunded: Black Communities Overlooked by Canadian Philanthropy ( Network for the Advancement of Black Communities and Carleton University’s Philanthropy and Nonprofit Leadership program)
- Anti-Black Racism Analysis Tool for a Radically Equitable COVID-19 Response (City of Toronto Confronting Anti-Black Racism Unit)
- Confronting Anti-Black Racism Initiative: Community Conversation Guide (City of Toronto Confronting Anti-Black Racism Unit)
- Confronting Anti-Black Racism Initiative: Community Conversation Facilitator Guide (City of Toronto Confronting Anti-Black Racism Unit)
- Engagement Framework for working with Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth
- USAI (Utility, Self-voicing, Access, Inter-relationality) Research Framework
- Ganohonyohk (Giving Thanks): Indigenous Prosperity Project Partnership Development Tool
- Ganohonyohk (Giving Thanks): Indigenous Prosperity – Final Report
- Ceremony and Transitions: Culture-based Approaches to Violence Prevention
- The Urban Indigenous Action Plan